Monday, February 13, 2012

William Kentridge

Before I read about William Kentridge, I was curious about the process of how he makes his stop motion films. What materials does he use? How long does it take him to create a video? How does he get his concept?

While reading this I found out that he worked in the film industry, and was a director, writer, actor, and set designer. He made his first animated film in 1990.  He used charcoal in his movies, and would smudge and smear to add effect. Frame by frame he erases the charcoal and adds to it for the next movement.  I learned that each 6/7 minute video takes about three to four months to create.
I also did not know that Kentridge was a print maker, did video sculptures, and drawings. He also did operas, plays and puppet shows.

It made me wonder, why does Kentridge specialize in stop motion videos, if he is talented in all other kinds of areas of art. I also was curious on to why it takes him four months to make a film of seven minutes. I have made stop motion films before, and it would not take that long to create something of that length. I was also curious to as to why he choses charcoal as his medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment